Are Girl's Just Being Mean or is it a Sign of Bullying?
Have you notice the difference between how girls treat each other as an opposed to how boys treat each other? Girl’s insecurities prevent them from having really close relationships with most girls. When I talk to teenage girl’s it seems to be the one topic that causes girl’s the most anxiety. It comes up time and time again how they have to adjust their personality, walk on egg shells, not voice their feelings, so they don’t get shunned and have vicious rumors spread about them from other girl’s.
I remember teenage girl’s being snotty, but not vicious.
One question that came up in one of my girl’s circle was “ I have this sort-of friend, that is my friend one week and then the she is someone else's best friend the next week. She really doesn’t treat me well, but if I tell her why I don’t want to be her friend, she will shun me and spread vicious rumors that aren’t true and ruin my reputation. How do I walk away from unhealthy relationships without those consequences?
Here are 5 ways to protect yourself from unhealthy friendships:
- Be yourself, set good boundaries around the way your friends treat you. If you are hanging around with mean girls, ask yourself why? It could be that your self-esteem needs some attention.
- Start saying NO to things that aren’t good for you. It automatically makes you feel better about who you are.
- Eliminating those girls, it leaves room for better friends to come in. Don’t be afraid to tell a friend that you don’t like the way she is treating you. If her response is something to the effect of “what ever, get over it” ask yourself if you want a friend that doesn’t care about your feeling…Probably not!
- The more you take care of yourself, the more confidence you have, the better you feel about yourself. The better you feel about yourself, the more confident you are and start making better decisions for yourself, and you will start attracting friends that treat you better.
- And last but not least, make sure you’re not a mean girl. If you are treating other girls poorly, ask yourself, "If I was in her shoes would I like being treated that way." If not, see how you can change your actions to be a better friend.
We are a sisterhood and girls need to start treating each other with kindness. Look at how you treat other girls. Are you shunning any girls? Are you spreading rumors about other girls? Are you just joining in when others talk badly about other people? That's just as bad, by the way! Start looking at your behavior around how you treat others. If you treat others poorly, it's going to be tough to bring in friends that treat you well.
For the next few weeks start looking at your current relationships, and make some healthy choices in the friend department. Ask yourself a question regarding each friend. Is this a friendship that is making me feel good, and do I deserve more. Also ask yourself am I the type of friend that I would want to have? Be really honest with yourself. Be the friend you want as a friend.